Features and further details
This was a special obscure series of hardware, which Oberheim made in cooperation with Gibson in the late 80s. They were sold with the different systems pre-installed including the documentation for each model. You could change the OS eprom to the desired system, depending on the functionality.
Each system update requires one eprom chip as revealed in the eBay article`s photos and the chip will be labeled to help you locate the correct chip socket. For more info, please check below.
- Oberheim Cyclone – The Oberheim Cyclone is a MIDI arpeggiatior. Most may already have 1.2 installed from the Oberheim Factory. There could be early revisions with version 1.0. Sadly no changelogs has been published therefore no documentation about the changes from 1.0 to 1.2.
- Oberheim Drummer – is an interactive drum pattern sequencer, in essence “the brain of a drummer crammed into a little box” It contains no internal sounds but should rather be used in conjunction with a sound module or sampler to play drum sounds via MIDI. This is version 3.8.
- Oberheim Strummer – Lists to chords played on your MIDI keyboard and plays them back to your MIDI sound source (Synthesizer or Sampler) just as they would be played from a guitar. This is version 2.1
- Oberheim Systemizer – The Systemizer is a master MIDI control center and memory bank that allows you to create and store a wide variety of MIDI keyboard setups that can be as simple or elaborate as you want. This is version 1.0
- Oberheim Navigator – Designed to extend the performance capability of MIDI-based systems. This is version 6.8